Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Beginner's Guide To Fishing Small Rivers And Streams

To me there is nothing better than standing up to my waste in a flowing river or stream, surrounded by the wonders of nature, casting my line into the current and attempting to catch a fish. In my opinion, this is as close to heaven as a human being can get and not only that but it's a great way to catch fish as well.

In this article I'm going to reveal tips and techniques that will make you a much better river and stream angler. These tips were taught to me by my fishing mentor, who was a renowned trout fisherman in the area of central Pennsylvania, where I grew up. Since then, I've been using the very same tips and techniques he taught me, in rivers and streams throughout the United States to catch all kinds of fish.

The first thing to keep in mind with respect to fishing small rivers and streams is that for most fish, ultra light equipment should be employed. Ultra light rods and reels give the angler much more sensitivity, which makes feeling bites much easier. Not only that, but catching fish on ultra light gear is a ton of fun as well. It's a ton of fun, and will make you a much better angler.

For small river and stream fishing, your ultra light gear should be spooled with fishing line no heavier than six-pound test. I personally use, and would suggest four-pound test, but six pound is the maximum for this type of fishing. And before you start thinking that big fish can't be landed using this type line and gear, consider this: I regularly hook and land trout in the 20+ inch range, and smallmouth bass up to six pounds using gear exactly like I'm referring to in this article.

The next tip is to use live worms as bait. I've been using live worms in the flowing waters of small rivers and streams for more than twenty years and know from experience how effective live worms can be as bait. The key is to rig the live worms properly, which means using pre tied gang hooks. You see, a set of pre-tied gang hooks is the most natural and realistic way to present a live worm as bait. They enable you to present a live worm outstretched, the way God intended. There is no better way to present a live worm as bait.

Another great tip when fishing small rivers and streams is to make sure that you're fishing when the fish are the most active. What do I mean by this? Simply that you'll catch more fish if you're fishing when the fish are the most active (and feeding). This is why you need to pay attention to the weather and moon. Paying Attention to these two forces of Mother Nature will do more for your ability to catch fish than you may have ever imagined.

Fishing in small rivers and streams is a very enjoyable experience, and one I'm not sure that I could live without. The tips contained in this article will help you catch more fish when fishing in these types of waters. How am I so sure of this? Simply because I've personally been using every one of these tips for more than 20 years and know how effective they are.

Trevor Kugler is co-founder of JRWfishing.com and an avid angler. He has more than 20 years experience fishing for all types of fish, and 15 years of business and internet experience. He currently raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country.....Montana!


No comments: